So, while South Korea wasn't originally on my list of places I want to see, turns out that this country has a lot of cool things to do and see. Greg and I are hoping to take in as many of them as we can.
Right now, it is very rainy, hot and humid in Korea. So, last Saturday we tried to find something indoors to do. Greg's not big into museums, but between the promise of rain and air conditioning, I convinced him that going to the National Museum of Korea (
http://www.museum.go.kr/main/index/index002.jsp) was a good idea.
The museum was ok: too much pottery (each piece looked exactly the same as the last) and a little short on the big, impact exhibits (ex. mummies, dinosaurs, gold). But it was free. And air-conditioned.
 |
| Look how thrilled he is to be at the museum! |
 |
| Big egg shaped tombs. |
 |
| Big Buddha. |
One of our co-teachers had made a comment about how in Korea if you think you have a good idea of what to do on your days off, just remember that a million others just had the same idea. SO true. I think we spent more time dodging school children and families then looking at the exhibits.
 |
| I wish this picture could better convey the experience. |
Afterwards, we discovered that we were pretty close to a part of the city called Itaewon, also known as "little America in Korea" (not really). Tons of foreigners, international restaurants and American brand name stores. We had passable tacos for supper (Darn you Mexico! You have ruined us! We are serious Mexican food snobs), had ice cream at McDonalds and browsed an English language bookstore, which may become my favorite place in Korea. All in all, a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment