Saturday, 26 October 2013

Greg Plays Hockey

One of the things I really wanted to do this fall in Korea was join a sports team and enjoy some physical activity. I have always enjoyed sports and being active is something I really love. So starting in September, I joined a ball hockey league in Seoul. The league is called Canada Ball Hockey Korea. The league consists of many Canadians and Americans, by far the majority, and some Koreans and players from other countries as well. There are ten teams in the league and fourteen players per team. Each team is sponsored by a pub in Seoul. I play on the Yaletown Madbombers. Each team plays two forty-five minute games every Sunday.

I had read that this was a competitive league and this got me really excited. I was in for a surprise as to just how competitive it was. There are two referees for each game. There is a time-keeper and someone keeping stats as well. After each week, you can check the website and see the league standing and each individual player's goals, assists, points and penalty minutes. Each week, my team captain sends out an email with the scouting report on the team we will play that week, which players to watch out for and what we need to do to win. At the end of the twenty-four game season, there are three weeks of play-offs and an a league champion. All that to say, it has been a lot of fun, the games are competitive and it has been interesting getting involved in an expat community like this in Korea. I should also make a note that my wife is my biggest fan and comes out to almost every game!

In case you want to check it out, here is the website: http://www.cbhk.org/





No comments:

Post a Comment