I (Karmen) have always loved to read. During college I put reading for pleasure largely on hold while I tackled thick theological textbooks that I didn't necessarily enjoy. "Does anyone?" you might ask. Believe it or not, I know some people who read those kinds of books for fun. And they aren't pastors. Or professors. Though they will probably be pastors or professors.
Anyway, I have returned to my first love and discovered that you can learn as much about theology, history and methodology from stories as textbooks. Lately I have read two really great missions themed books that I think you all should read.
A number of years ago, I had the pleasure of hearing Bruce Olsen speak at Missions Fest in Vancouver. I was inspired and bought his book, but hadn't had the time to read it until now. Bruchko is Olsen's autobiographical account of his years among tribal groups in the South American jungle. I was struck by two things. First of all, Olsen's heart for a people group that is not his own. Second of all, the hardships he faces again and again to bring the love of Jesus to these people.
The other book I just recently finished. It's called Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. Obviously, it's a work of fiction and I haven't done enough research on the persecuted church in China to know if it is a completely accurate depiction of what goes on there, but nonetheless, it's a powerful read. In the Western church we are under the false impression that choosing to follow Christ will equal blessing: prosperity, security etc. In countries around the world where Christians are persecuted it is understood that this choice will result in suffering: imprisonment, torture and death. And still the church spreads like wildfire. One thought kept running through my mind as I read: would my faith stand up to a test like this? Very challenging.
Anyway, if you are looking for some good reads, these are my recommendations. Let me know what you think.
I read Safely Home a number of years ago and remember really enjoying it. I am currently reading "Grace for the Good Girl" by Emily Freeman and God is speaking to me sooo much through it! I would definitely recommend it for anyone who grew up being the responsible, reliable, dependable Christian girl.
ReplyDeleteThanks for keeping us updated on your adventures.