So we have now past the two month mark in South Korea...seriously time flies by.
Our weeks are often such a blur. We are at school from 8:50 am until about 6:30-7:00 pm most nights. Then we come home and decide on what to do for supper (if we should make something or just go out). Often during the week we eat at home because we know that on the weekend we will eat out a couple of times. So by the time we decide on what to eat, eat and then clean up, it is after 8 and we are feeling exhausted. Usually we read for a little bit, go for a walk by the creek, go out for hot chocolate/smoothies or watch some tv shows online. By 10 pm we are winding down and ready for bed.
And we blinked, and two months have gone by....
Now don't get me wrong. Some days here have felt really long. There have been times when teaching that the seconds have felt like minutes and the minutes like hours. But there have been more good days then not-so-good days.
In the morning we teach Kindergarten age kids and they are very, very cute. They are still at the age where they want to please the teacher and the cute factor far outweighs the attitude factor. In the afternoon, though, we teach kids, ages ranging from 8-12. The afternoons we have found to be much more challenging. These kids have learned a little more about defiance and attitude and are unable to pull out the cute card with much success. Every day I look at what went well and what didn't and try to rethink how to get through to these kids. Seriously, it is a day by day challenge (you teachers out there are probably smiling and thinking "Hey, rookie, welcome to the wonderful world of teaching").
Here a couple of funny teaching stories thus far:
First, on several occasions we have had to ask kids to stop dancing "Gangnam style" in class, but it doesn't really matter what age, they all seem to know it and love it (it gets more disturbing though for Karmen when her six year old boys are saying, "Hey sexy lady" while she is trying to teach).
Second, the kids are not allowed to speak Korean in English class. The kids love tattling on each other too. Instead of saying "so and so spoke Korean", they will say something like, "Mister Greg, Daniel Korean" or "Mister Greg, Daniel is Korean". Usually I laugh and say, "Yes, you are all Korean". We find this very funny.
Third, the older kids I teach have learned/developed some funny English sayings. For one, when they are finished an assignment they will say, "Teacher, I am the end". Just the other day I heard one talk about how his grandfather had died and was in the 'skyland' (heaven).
One last thing: Today I went into Seoul and helped out with a group from our church who serves a meal to the homeless in Seoul. Karmen was feeling tired and wanted a day to herself, to relax, bake, paint her nails and catch up on emails. So today marked the first day we have been apart since we have been here (over two months). We go to school together, come home together, eat together, rest together, sight-see together and go to church together. It was a little weird travelling the buses and subway alone. I am very thankful that we get along so well and that we have so much fun together. I love my beautiful, wonderful wife!
Okay, after this quote I am done, I promise. Karmen and I have been watching Modern Family a lot since we have been here and we strongly recommend it. "When life gives you lemonade make lemons. Life will be all like whaaat?" -Phil Dunphy
No comments:
Post a Comment