So, another major holiday has come and gone. If you Skyped me a week or two ago, you may have had the unfortunate pleasure of talking to a slightly grumpier, pessimistic version of me. Sorry for that. It's just that holidays here really get me down and I have been thinking about why.
I suppose holidays should be special in and of themselves, but I'm realizing that the "extras"- the traditions, family time and time off work- are a big reason why I always look forward to holidays (in Canada, at least). And the absence of these things makes holidays come and go like any other day in Korea.
Take, for example, Easter. Though the celebration of Christ's resurrection should be special in and of itself, the day passed by without being significantly different than any other day. Reason #1: There were no special Easter treats (chocolates, Paska etc.) to welcome in the "Easter season". I realize this is pretty shallow, but I so miss good food! Reason #2: Though we Skyped with family, video feed is not a good substitute for the physical presence of people you love. Reason #3: While our families and friends were sleeping off Easter supper, we were trying to corral dozens of small Korean children and teach them a ridiculously complicated language. Fun times.
Yup. Holidays suck.
We wish that we could spend our holidays with you guys eating our over cooked, dry paska. I'm sure that would have made things better...ha ha. Those Koreans sure have a lot of holidays it seems. Can't wait to spend some quality time with you guys!
ReplyDelete