Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Greg and Karmen Go to a Ball Game

Who knew that Korea and Dana loved baseball so much? It's baseball season and we (Greg, our co-teachers and I) decided that a ball game was a perfect way to spend a sunny Saturday. We arrived at the stadium an hour before the game started and already the stadium was full (well, the cheap seats anyway). And a funny thing about Korea is that they way over sell tickets and so if you get there too late, you are relegated to sitting in the aisles or standing at the railing.

I've never been to a professional baseball game before, but I was told that fans aren't nearly as vocal and energetic back home as they are in Korea. I was reminded of the soccer game we went to in Mexico (and we all know how Latinos feel about soccer!). It was a fun game and I feel like I learned a lot of baseball lingo that makes me sound cooler than I really am!

One interesting thing about Korean baseball is that teams are named after the large corporations that own them rather than a specific city. So the teams we watched were the LG Twins against the Lotte Giants. There are also the Samsung Lions and the Kia Tigers. However, teams do have a home stadium in a specific city.

The one thing that really disappointed me was the food (shocking, right?). I was so pumped when Dana told me that there was a Burger King at the stadium! Wooo! No dried squid for this Canadian. But instead of french fries, you know what they gave me with my burger? Fried chicken! Meat with a side of meat. It sounds minor, but I really love french fries. There are some things I will never understand about Korea.




Yes, Dana and I are wearing bags on our heads. When in Korea...

No comments:

Post a Comment