Last Sunday, we decided to go with Dana (a friend from Abbotsford who is now teaching at our school) to Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul. It is known as the largest church in the world with membership over 850 000. There were seven services that Sunday and I believe the sermon was also broadcast to a few satellite campuses. I read that the sanctuary can seat 12 000 and there was not an empty pew in the building. We were escorted by a volunteer up to the balcony and seated in the "foreigner section" where we could listen to a translation of the service in English (or Spanish or Malay or French or Russian or...).
I really enjoyed the worship portion of the service. Yoido Full Gospel boasts a very large choir and a full orchestra. One thing that I didn't enjoy about this church was how cameras were used to record faces in the congregation during very awkward and private moments, and then broadcast on the huge TV screens up front.
Korea seems to like to do everything super-sized We've shopped at the busiest Costco and now worshiped in the biggest church. I suppose that's a byproduct of having so many people living in such a small area (compared to Canada).
No comments:
Post a Comment