Friday, 15 June 2012

Mexico or Bust

This Saturday, we are flying out of this rainy, winter weather to sunny Mexico. I checked the current weather in Puerto Vallarta... 34 degrees, but feels like 47. Yikes. We might be looking forward to some cool weather by the end of three weeks.

For me, planning this trip to Mexico has produced some very mixed emotions. Don't get me wrong. Spending five days at the beach with the love of my life celebrating our second anniversary is only good. It's the second part of our trip to Guadalajara that has me nervous. For those who don't know, Greg and I lived there for eight months shortly before we were married as part of a school internship. It was definitely one of the hardest points of my life and I credit Greg's support and presence with the fact that I made it through all eight months. I feel like the past two years have given me some distance and perspective, but it doesn't change the fact that shortly I will be confronting some of those memories again face-to-face.

So, in the spirit of being positive (I tried typing "in the spirit of positivity". I can't believe that positivity isn't a real word?!), here is a list of things that I get excited about when I think of Mexico:


  1. Tacos. This may sound shallow, but anyone who has eaten an authentic Mexican taco, then gone home to Canada and tried to find an appropriate substitute will understand. There is no substitute.
  2. Good friends. In spite of the language and culture barriers, during the eight months we lived in Guadalajara we met some genuinely awesome people that we care about. Chayito: the lady that cared so well for Greg. Raquel: a wonderful young woman that I lived with and spent most of my time with. Anna: the woman who's mission was to make me leave fatter than when I arrived in Mexico. There are many more!
  3. Jonathan and Carlita. These are Raquel's kids. I hope that they remember me because I sure remember and love them!
  4. Shorts. Last time in Mexico, Greg and I tried hard to fit in as best we could. Part of being culturally relevant in Mexico is by wearing pants. All the time. Even in 30+ degree heat. Not that we are going to try to be the tackiest tourists possible, but we may cheat more often than we did last time. I know, rebellious.
  5. Fruit. Mangoes, avocados, oranges, baby bananas. My world was rocked the day I first ate a baby banana. The are maybe a fifth of the size of a regular banana, but they have triple the sweet, banana flavor. 
  6. Church. I am looking forward to attending the church that Greg worked with while we lived in Mexico. Last we heard, the church had outgrown its building a number of times and planted a few other churches/home groups. The leaders of this church movement are seriously inspiring.
  7. Missionaries. Jen and Sandra, can't wait to hang out with you guys in a few days!
  8. Shopping. If you have ever made fun of my two-headed chicken, beware. There may be one showing up on a doorstep nearest you.
  9. Speaking Spanish. Sometimes I still have dreams where I speak Spanish. I think that means that months of Spanish school are still subconsciously there. Hopefully.
I'm sure there are more. We will try and post our experiences and pictures while we are there.
Adios y hasta pronto.

2 comments:

  1. What?? Leaving Saturday already? That sure snuck up on me. Have a great trip and way to concentrate on the positives. I look forward to reading your blog entries and hopefully seeing you at least once before you head on the next big trip!
    Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, blessings to you both as you pull up your roots and journey into the new things God has for you! I'll definitely try to keep track of you as you travel to distant places like Korea...Much love,
    jason

    ReplyDelete